Updated August 2019
University of Virginia: Ph.D in the Study of Judaism (2017)
Dissertation: Safe, Sane, and Attentive: A Jewish Ethics of Sex and Public Health, https://doi.org/10.18130/V3K92F
University of Virginia: M.A. in Religious Studies (2012)
Master’s Thesis: Phenomenal Sex: Uses of the Empirical in Contemporary Halakhic Discourse on Homosexuality.
Oberlin College: B.A. with High Honors in Religion (2008)
- Mellon Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies and Gender and Women’s Studies, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 2019-2022
- Friedman Postdoctoral Fellow in Jewish Studies, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO, 2017-2019
- Visiting Instructor of Religion and Jewish Studies, Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH, 2016-2017
Peer Reviewed Articles
- “A Prescription for Discourse: Power and Expertise in Ritual and Sexual Health.” Journal of Jewish Ethics 4:2 (2018)
- “Textual Relationships: On Perspective, Interpretive Discipline, and Constructive Ethics.” Accepted, Journal of Textual Reasoning.
- “A Polyvocal Body: Mutually Corrective Discourses in Feminist and Jewish Bodily Ethics.” Journal of Religious Ethics. 43:2 (2015)
- “Community, Authority, and Autonomy: Jewish Resources for the Vaccine Wars.” Journal of the Society for Christian Ethics, 34:1 (2014), 173-88.
- “’Intertextually Modified Organisms’”: Genetic Engineering, Jewish Ethics, and Rabbinic Text” in That All May Flourish: Comparative Religions and Environmental Ethics, ed. Laura Hartman. Oxford University Press (2018)
- Review of Jewish Justice: The Contested Limits of Nature, Law, and Covenant, David Novak, 2017. Journal of Jewish Ethics 5:1 (2019)
- “Is Judaism ‘Sex Positive?’ Understanding Trends in Recent Jewish Sexual Ethics.”G’vanim, Volume 10 (2019)
- Review of Justice for All: How the Jewish Bible Revolutionized Ethics, Jeremiah Unterman, 2017. Journal of Jewish Ethics 4:2 (2018)
- “Toward More Expansive Perspectives on Gender, Authority, and Role Modeling.” JTS Gleanings 5:1 (Spring 2018)
- “Introduction.” Journal of Textual Reasoning 7:1, with Peter Ochs (March 2012)
- “Introduction.” Journal of Textual Reasoning 6:2 (March 2011)
Mellon Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies and Women’s and Gender Studies (Vanderbilt University)
- JS 1010, “Judaism: An Introduction” (Fall 2019)
- WGS 1160-02, “Sex and Society” (Fall 2019)
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Washington University in St. Louis)
- JINELC 390, “God, The Whirlwind, and Us: Environmental Ethics in the Abrahamic Traditions” (Spring 2019)
- JINELC 387, “Jews, Bodies, and Bioethics” (Spring 2018)
- JINELC 385, “Jewish Sexual Ethics” (Fall 2017, Fall 2018)
Instructor (Oberlin College)
- RELG/JWST 256, “Jews and the Body” (Spring 2017)
- RELG/JWST 258, “‘Two Jews, Three Opinions:’ Argumentation in Judaism” (Spring 2017)
- RELG/JWST 357, “Jewish Sexual Ethics” (Spring 2017)
- RELG 153, “Purity and Pollution in the Abrahamic Traditions” (Fall 2016)
- RELG 250/JWST 150, “Introduction to Judaism” (Fall 2016)
Teaching Assistant (University of Virginia)
- RELG 2300, “Religious Ethics and Moral Problems”, Professor Charles Matthewes (Spring 2015)
- RELG 2650, “Theology, Ethics, and Healthcare”, Professor James Childress (Fall 2014)
- RELG 2210, “Religion, Ethics, and the Environment”, Professor Willis Jenkins (Spring 2014) and Professor James Childress (Spring 2013)
- RELG 2475, “God”, Professor Peter Ochs (Fall 2012)
- “Toward a Framework for Responsible Uses of Genetic Testing.” Invited presentation at “Judaism and Disability: The New Genetics, Disability Studies, and Practical Interventions, Scottsdale, AZ, February 2019.
- “Torah Edgeplay: Risk, Power, and Polymorphous Community.” American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting, November 2018.
- Panelist: “Where Wisdom Can Be Found: Scripture and Wisdom in the Abrahamic Traditions.” American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting, November 2018.
- “Hold Open the Gates of Weeping: Text, Power, and Empathy in Sexual Health.” In seminar, “Jewish Women’s Healing and Medicine: Ancient to Contemporary Traditions,” Association for Jewish Studies, December 2017.
- “The Ethics of Reading When Reading Ethics: Teaching Ethics Using Rabbinic Sources”. In seminar, “Thinking With Rabbinic Texts: The Next Stage”, Association for Jewish Studies, December 2016.
- “No One Wants an Agent With a Social Disease: Mishnaic Purity Discourse as a Model for Moral Agency in Sexual Health”. American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting, November 2016
- “Let’s Talk About Sex: Navigating Power and Expertise in Ritual and Sexual Health”. Society of Jewish Ethics Annual Meeting, January 2016.
- “Be All My Sins Remember’d: Subject, Relation, and Moral Repair in the Yom Kippur Liturgy” Virginia Graduate Colloquium, March 2015.
- “Risky Business: Reexamining Risk and Benefit in Jewish Sexual Ethics”. Society of Jewish Ethics Annual Meeting, January 2014.
- Panel Discussion: “Reason, Scripture, and the Senses” with Nauman Faizi. Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting of the American Academy of Religion. (March 2013)
- “Community, Authority, and Autonomy: Jewish Resources for the Vaccine Wars.” Society of Jewish Ethics Annual Meeting, January 2013.
- Panel Discussion: “Abrahamic Reasoning and Environmental Ethics” with Ashleigh Elser and Nauman Faizi. Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting of the American Academy of Religion. (March 2012)
- “Image as Midrash: Text, Experience, and Interpretation in The Comic Torah.” Graphic Details Symposium: Talking About Jewish Women and Comics (February, 2012)
Grants, Fellowships and Awards
- Morgenstern Fellowship in Jewish Studies, University of Virginia (2012-2016)
- Wabash Center Grant, “Difficult Conversations: A Pedagogy Initiative for Graduate Students in Religious Studies at the University of Virginia.” Graduate collaborator, with Professors Martien Halvorson-Taylor and Willis Jenkins (2015-2016)
- Rachel Winer Manin Interdisciplinary Fellowship in Jewish Studies, University of Virginia (2011-2015)
- Grover Zinn Prize in Religion, Oberlin College (2008)
Guest Faculty Invitations
- Guest Faculty, Fellowship in Educating for Applied Jewish Wisdom, The William Davidson Graduate School of Jewish Education at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, 2017-2019.
- Read: Biblical Hebrew, Rabbinic Hebrew, Modern Hebrew, German
Academic and Professional Service
- Program Co-Chair, Society of Jewish Ethics (2018-2020)
- Member, Climate Task Force, Society of Jewish Ethics (2017-present)
- Book reviewer for Journal of Jewish Ethics (2017-18)
- Manuscript reviewer for Journal of Jewish Ethics (2017)
- Member of Organizing Committee, Graduate Colloquium in Scripture, Interpretation, and Practice, University of Virginia (2014 and 2015)
- Executive Manager (2010-2012) and Associate Editor (2012-2013), Journal of Textual Reasoning
- Jewish Studies Program Publicity Specialist, University of Virginia (2010-2012)
- Student member, search committee for Director of the office of Religious and Spiritual Life, Oberlin College (2008)
American Academy of Religion
Society of Jewish Ethics
Association for Jewish Studies